Monday, June 8, 2009

Where we're at...

You guys.... we need to talk...

As some of you may know... I won the award for Madison's Female Vocalist of the year. It was a tremendous win for The Danielle Brittany Crew. My friends, music colleagues, my family, and myself were elated. People were going to finally start to know my name. It was a big platform for such a little lady. My competition in my category was tremendous. Apparently I won by 3 votes. So I was, needles to say, incredibly surprised.

When I went to the Madison Area Music awards... I wasn't feeling confident. I felt so small. I entered the Barrymore with my heart in a state of anxiety. I felt like I was lost in the bustle of some unfamiliar city. I recognized no faces. Nobody even knew who I was. I hadn't anyone to mingle with and I was incredibly intimidated. I felt like the new kid on the first day of school.. wanting desperately for someone to reach out to me. It sucked... lol.


When the first category that I was nominated in was announced, I sat up straight in my chair. My nervous eyes darted around the theatre. When they announced my name as one of the nominees NOBODY clapped for me. It was as if people were like, "Who?" Nobody clapped.... except for my management team. I'm not kidding you... I seriously felt like the last kid picked in dodgeball. NOBODY CLAPPED. My heart began racing. "Oh my god... nobody knows who I am. What am I doing here? I have NO street cred! No support!" There I was.... all alone... waiting for them to say who'd won. "And the winner is........ Gladstone!!!" .... my heart sank through the floor, through the earth's crust and descended all the way to the blazing depths of hell's magma. My gah, though, Gladstone deserves everything that is awarded their way. They're great.... but I was taking it personally. I sat there stick straight. Stuck. Motionless. Frozen. Unable to move, rigid in that folding, theatre chair. My sweaty hands now dry as the sahara....were tightly cleanching the wooden arms of my seat. I kept thinking, "I should leave. This was a stupid idea. I'm a nobody. Nobody knows me. I'm an idiot. Why did I buy this dress? I need to leave. How foolish I was to think that I deserved ANY of this. I'm so presumptuous to think I could win an award here. What was I thinking??" My doubts were eating my chest to bits. I felt hollow.


I was also dealing with some personal loss that week and getting over a cold... so all this self-doubt was pouring in like crazy.


When they announced the category for female vocalist of the year.... my heart began pounding. I couldn't even look at the stage. I was just about to twitter... "I am an utter failure." to my friends when I heard the sweetest sound ever, "DANIELLE BRITTANY!" I stood up and said, "Oh my GOD ME?!?"

Haha! It felt really euphoric to know that I had a lot of really awesome friends and a great management team supporting me and supporting the mama's with their voting.


So... in the dust of the mama's last month.... I've had many ask about my music, my myspace, my album, my website, shows, shows, and more shows.


To answer all of that: Soon.


I'm a new artist working on my FIRST album ever. This .... is... really...hard. I'm trying to find my sound, my creative flow with new producers, and try to pump out the best product I can to my new audience! It's taking time. Projected debut: Late fall.


Shows won't be happening until that album is done. Without songs to sing... what do I have for you? I certainly can't keep playing shows full of covers. :-) But soooooon. I promise. Please hang in there with me.


We're getting there and once we're there.... we're gonna kill it!! woooo!!

I'm ambitious, happy, healthy, and working hard.... so..... stick with me!



Thank you for my MAMA. I love you guys!

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment