Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Goofy Spice

I'm getting more and more nervous reading up on Girls Rock Camp stuff. There's a lot of child psychology in the handbooks and I'm just so overwhelmed. I cannot say HOW excited I am to be apart of this. This is a dream of mine. It's ALWAYS been a huge dream of mine to work at a camp that empowers young girls.

I remember sitting in my Women in Society class listening to a lecture on young girls and self esteem. The statistics were concerning to me. The amount of girls that are bullied, suicidal, depressed, and have body image issues were astounding. It broke my heart. I remember exactly where I was sitting in that classroom when my brain went, "Man... I want to, like, start a camp for young girls and teach them how to be strong women."

I remember wanting to hug all the girls in the documentary we watched about the effects of young girls without father figures. I wanted to be a big sister to all of them. I wanted to take each one aside and tell them how things get better with age, how beautiful they were, and how much they were worth. I wanted to tell them that people will try to walk all over them. People will try to put them down. People will laugh at their dreams. People would call them names...

And the answer to all of that is? When someone tries to walk all over them... stand up. They can't walk all over someone who stands tall and strong. When someone tries to push them down? They need to reinforce themselves with positivity. A strong foundation cannot be knocked over! When someone laughs at their dreams... they have to use it as motivation. Forgive them for not having the ability to imagine and possess ambition and remember that the power of suggestion and belief is unstoppable. If you believe you can move a mountain... that mountain will move.

.... and finally... when someone calls them a name... they need to know that, "you're only what they call you if you answer to it." Don't let someone ever tell you who you are. Ever.

Sure, names and accusations may hurt... we're all vulnerable to hurt, but in order for that put-down to affect you, you have to care about it. If you don't care... it can't affect you. We will all fall, find bumps in the road, and have doors slammed in our faces. It's the person who gets up and keeps on fighting that wins. Resilience, persistence, ambition, dedication, and hard-work will find success.



This camp brings the power of music and the power of self esteem together. I'm so thankful to be a part of it.



This is where I'm a little scared.....

These girls will be very interested in the instructors. These girls will ask us lots of questions and will want to know about my personal life. They also might idolize or find heros in the instructors so they'll absorb a lot of what we say. The girls will LOVE gossip and we're warned that it spreads like wild fire. They'll also want to add us on facebook, myspace, and twitter and we're warned to watch the things we say on all our media outlets. (yikes)

These girls are one of the target markets with my music. It's no doubt that they will be curious of me. I KNOW they will love a couple other musician lady-friends of mine involved in this program as well. They're silly, fun, intelligent, talented, and beautiful to boot. This equals fascinating!

.... this is terrifying. I know that I was a little sponge at their age too. I remember my camp counselors at camp and how we wanted to know what counselors were dating. I remember looking up to them and even mimicking a lot of their behaviors and attitudes.

The pressure! The pressure to make a positive impact!!

((sigh))


I've wanted this. God has given me an immense opportunity and a blessing to do the very thing I said I wanted to do, silently to myself in that classroom 4 years ago.



I'm ready to step up to the plate. I've got to be strong for these girls. I wish so much I'd had what I'm about to do when I was their age. I had a really rough time with body image specifically and believing in myself. In middle school I was told I was an ugly duckling constantly. I think a counselor even told me, "just because you're not one of the pretty girls doesn't make you less of a person." (Nice, lady. Right? Bitch.) I had girls tell me I dressed weird and laugh at me. I had girls say cruel things about my weight. I started late with music because I was so afraid. Girl would tell me I couldn't sing... and that I should quit dreaming of meeting my idols because I was a nobody. I hope I change at least ONE of their lives and make them strong... then I know my work has been done. These days... all those girls from junior high message me about where to shop, get their hair done, and how I do my makeup. I'm the go-to gal. These days... those mean girls are coming to my shows and signing my facebook wall with well wishes. We all grow up and out of things. They were just as insecure as I was... if not more. Instead of embracing my unique style. I let them make me believe I was wrong. If it feels right for you. It's never wrong.

.... I wish I'd known that. These girls are going to have it drilled into their cute little skulls, I tell ya! :)

I feel like a spice girl... but damn.... "Girl Power." :)



Love,
Goofy Spice






No comments:

Post a Comment